A new ingredient is taking the food industry by storm. Incredibly useful in baking and beverages, freeze-dried fruit powder is a new way to add natural flavor to your products—without the extra chemicals and processed additives. With industry events on the horizon, now’s the time to brainstorm and plan some new products. Ready to put your most creative foot forward? Join us in exploring the possibilities of freeze-dried fruit powder.
The benefits of powdered freeze-dried fruit
While freeze-dried fruit powder is already in use around the world, many brands haven’t heard of it. Take a look at its benefits:
- Flavor. Freeze-dried fruit powder is a natural flavor enhancer. It adds color and texture while amplifying the flavor profile of your product. It’s a great way to add natural sweetness and fruity flavor without dumping cane sugar or corn syrup into your product.
- Nutrition. Using freeze-dried fruit powder reduces the amount of processed and artificial additives needed in a product, while adding antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals. This natural ingredient is non-GMO, vegan, and gluten-free. After all, it’s just produce and nothing else. Meanwhile, most concentrates have a long list of ingredients that aren’t natural nor healthy.
- Shelf life. As with all freeze-dried food, fruit powder has a very long shelf life. This makes it an easy and convenient ingredient to use, since you can buy in bulk without worrying about spoilage. Normally, products with a long shelf life have more preservatives, but that’s not the case when it comes to freeze-drying. Using freeze-dried ingredients can save you from adding sulfites and other chemicals later in the process.
Freeze-dried fruit powder uses
Now that your interest is piqued, get inspired by all the ways you can use powdered freeze-dried fruit. Whether it’s in baking or beverages, your brand can explore new products with this delicious and convenient new ingredient.
- Baking. Cookies, cupcakes, breads, pastries … the list goes on and on. Fruit powder is incredibly useful in baking due to its concentrated flavor and long shelf life. Useful for adding flavor and color to frosting without watering down the consistency, or adding a spike of natural flavor to fillings and compotes, fruit powders have countless uses. They’re also great for adding to a batter.
- Sweets. Just as it enhances baked goods, fruit powder is perfect for flavoring candies and chocolates. The intense flavor, pure ingredients, and absence of chemical additives make it the perfect flavoring for cremes, infusions, and fillings.
- Beverages. Whether you’re adding flavor and color to a mixed coffee drink, powdered protein shake, fermented alcohol, or simple smoothie, fruit powders can’t be beat. They add flavor without moisture, meaning you have total control over the consistency and taste of your product.
- Nutrition bars. The market for granola bars and protein bars is competitive right now. But a unique combination of freeze-dried fruit powders can set your product apart from the competition by giving it a unique flavor profile. Nutrition bars are known for being dry or preserved, so fruit powders fit the bill perfectly.
If you want to wow the competition with new, innovative products, consider adding powdered freeze-dried fruit. And if you need help sourcing healthy ingredients for your new products, check out our free e-book about the benefits of freeze-dried ingredients as well as our food preservation ingredient guide. For more information about our freeze-drying process, get in touch via Facebook or LinkedIn.