One of the many reasons we love freeze-dried fruits is their versatility. With even more application options than fresh products, freeze-dried fruits are nutritious and delicious whether they end up in baked goods, confections, breakfast foods, snacks, beverages or desserts.
Mercer Foods offers freeze-dried fruits in a variety of formats, including slices, dices and pieces of any size. But a new format is taking the food industry by storm and it’s freeze-dried powder! Useful in baking or beverages, snacks or dressings, freeze-dried fruit powder provides all the same benefits as your favorite freeze-dried fruit pieces, with all new application options.
The freeze-dried fruit
Let’s have a look at the benefits of freeze-dried powder:
- Flavor, Color & Texture. Freeze-dried fruit powder naturally enhances color, flavor and texture with just one ingredient. Add natural sweetness and fruity flavor without resorting to cane sugar or corn syrup sweeten your product.
- Nutrition. Using freeze-dried fruit powder reduces the amount of processed and artificial additives needed in a product. And it naturally provides antioxidants, vitamins and minerals. This natural ingredient is non-GMO, vegan, and gluten free. After all, it’s just fruit and nothing else.
- Shelf life. As with all freeze-dried food, fruit powders have a very long shelf life. Easily and conveniently buy in bulk without worrying about spoilage. Normally, products with a long shelf life have more preservatives, but that’s not the case when it comes to freeze-drying. Using freeze-dried ingredients can save you from adding sulfites and other chemicals later in the process.
Now that your interest is piqued, get inspired by all the ways you can use powdered freeze-dried fruit. Whether it’s in baking or beverages, your brand can explore new products with this delicious and convenient new ingredient.
- Baking. Cookies, cupcakes, breads, pastries … the list goes on and on. Fruit powder is incredibly versatile and useful in baking due to its concentrated flavor and long shelf life. Add flavor and color to batter or frosting or add a spike of natural flavor to fillings and compotes without watering down the consistency.
- Sweets. Just as it enhances baked goods, fruit powder is perfect for flavoring candies and chocolates. The intense flavor, pure ingredients and absence of chemical additives make it the perfect flavoring for cremes, infusions and fillings.
- Beverages. Whether you’re adding flavor and color to a mixed coffee drink, powdered protein shake, fermented alcohol or simple smoothie, fruit powders can’t be beat. They add flavor without moisture, giving you total control over the consistency and taste of your product.
- Nutrition bars. The market for granola bars and protein bars is competitive right now. But a unique combination of freeze-dried fruit powders can set your product apart from the competition by giving it a unique flavor profile. Nutrition bars are known for being dry or preserved, so fruit powders fit the bill perfectly.
If you want to wow your customers new innovative products, consider adding powdered freeze-dried fruit to repertoire. Ready to put your most creative foot forward? Reach out to explore the possibilities of freeze-dried fruit powder.